In today's blog, I'm going to share with you one of my favorite smoothie recipes called, "One Smart Smoothie". I call it a "longevity elixir" because it is packed with long-life promoting nutrients. You can find it on page 148 of my best-selling book, "Raw Energy In A Glass: 126 Nutrition-Packed Smoothies, Green Drinks, and Other Satisfying Raw Beverages to Boost Your Well-Being" (c2014, Storey Publishing). It's thick, fruity, filling, super energizing - the perfect way to start your day off on a healthy and delicious note. Be forewarned that it contains spirulina, which can have a bit of a fishy taste to the uninitiated, but when camouflaged with sweet, fresh orange juice and blueberries, its flavor is barely noticeable (or you can reduce the amount if it bothers you). I hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as I do. With regular consumption, you're sure to see radiant, glowing, and strong hair, skin, and nails, within a month or so, plus your vision and arthritic joints will greatly benefit from the high concentrations of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds, such as anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, and carotenoids contained within this blend. Here's to your health and beauty! Drink up!
In the photo below, this smoothie is the dark purple one on the far left . . .
One Smart Smoothie
Its hue is a deep purple and it's bursting with tangy blueberry and orange flavors that mask the strong taste of spirulina. Every ingredient in this smoothie is geared toward stimulating circulation and blood flow throughout the body and keeping arterial walls flexible, which promotes lifelong cardiovascular health, clear vision, and clarity of thought, plus vitality and stamina. NOTE: To avoid temporarily staining your teeth and tongue a dark bluish-purple, brush your teeth immediately after consuming.
- Juice of 3 oranges, tangerines, or tangelos
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil, unfiltered preferred
- 2 teaspoons spirulina or wild blue-green algae powder
- 2 teaspoons eleuthero root powder (try www.mountainroseherbs.com)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Put the orange juice, blueberries, flaxseed oil, spirulina, eleuthero, cayenne, and salt in a blender and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the juice of another orange or some water if you find it too thick.
2. Pour into glasses or insulated mugs. Be sure to "chew" each tart-sweet and fiber-rich sip, mixing well with your saliva so that it digests with ease, or savor slowly by eating with a spoon.
Yield: 2 servings
A Good Source Of: blood-building iron and chlorophyll, antioxidants, vitamins B and C, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, trace minerals, protein, omega-3 and gamma-linolenic (GLA) fatty acids, complex carbohydrates, natural sugars, and fiber
Note: The information in this blog is true and complete to the best of the author's knowledge. All recommendations are made without guarantee on the part of Ms. Tourles. She disclaims any liability in connection with the use of this information. It is for educational purposes only. Recipe used with permission from the book, "Raw Energy In A Glass" by Stephanie Tourles (c2014, Storey Publishing).