Festive Greetings To All!
'Tis the Season for giving, sharing, and making merry! So, as my gift to you this year, I would like to share the list of my all-time favorite "green" nutritional supplements to restore your flagging energy and rev up your core vitality. Just so you know, I have no commercial ties to the manufacturers or herbalists who make the formulas. These are just my time-tested and trusted, go-to, vegan health supplements that I currently take (or take at various times of the year) to make me feel great - in lieu of synthetic vitamins and heat-treated, denatured minerals, such as those derived from powdered rocks and shells (calcium carbonate from chalk; coral calcium from dead, dried coral; and oyster shell calcium from oyster shells) - which are all very difficult for the body to absorb and assimilate.
I hope you'll give some of them a try. As with any food-derived supplement, consistency of intake is key. Follow directions on the supplement packages. Expect to see health benefits within 2 or 3 months. Here's to making 2012 the "Year of Wellness"! Blessings To All!
My Favorite Algae, Grass, & Herb Supplement Brands
1. Super Food Plus by American Botanical Pharmacy: A vitamin and mineral herbal, nutrient-dense powder concentrate containing algaes, grasses, seaweed, fruits and fruit peels, beet root, spinach, and nutritional yeast. Quite tasty mixed with fresh apple juice or grapefruit juice. For more information call (800) 437-2362 or www.herbdoc.com.
2. Sun Chlorella "A" by Sun Chlorella USA Corp.: Pure chlorella algae tablets made with chlorella that has had its cell wall 95% pulverized - so it is easy to absorb. A good source of iron-rich chlorophyll, carotenes, plant-derived omega-3's, and protein. My indoor cats love these little, dark green tablets (in lieu of outdoor grass). For more information call (800) 829-2828 or www.sunchlorellausa.com.
3. Pines Barley Grass Powder (& Wheat Grass Powder): Pines has been around for decades. They grow the raw ingredients and manufacture various grass and vegetable powders for nutritional supplementation. Prices are quite reasonable! For more information call (800) MY-PINES or www.wheatgrass.com.
4. Barley Max by Hallelujah Acres: This "Health Ministry" was started by Reverend George Malkmus back in the 1970's after he healed himself from cancer consuming only raw juices and pure, raw foods. His company produces fabulous barley grass, beet root, and carrot powders as well as publishes books, offers courses on raw food nutrition, and retails other health-related items. The website, www.hacres.com, provides an amazing wealth of information on natural living and a raw food diet.
5. Rachael Jean's Ultimate Green Drink by Empowered Herbals: This is one of my absolute favorite green drink powders that I take daily, without fail. It's a wonderful, tasty blend of grasses, algaes, nettles, beet root, apple pectin and fiber, and probiotics. For more information call (360) 301-3130 or www.empoweredherbals.com.
6. NOAH Capsules by Jean's Greens: NOAH stands for Nettle, Oatstraw, Alfalfa, and Horsetail - four herbs that contain a plethora of minerals to promote stronger bones, hair, and nails. I've taken these capsules for years and my fingernails are hard and hair grows in healthy and at a good rate of speed. I assume that my bones are strong and flexible, as well. For more information call (888) 845-8327 or www.jeansgreens.com.
7. Restorative Herb Powder by Woodland Essence: This is a deeply nourishing, endocrine supportive blend of Ayurvedic, Chinese, and Western herbs to restore balance, internal moisture, and well-being - especially recommended if you are a woman over 40 and feel fried, dried, and exhausted! I make an edible paste of this powder by mixing it with molasses, flax oil, bee pollen and a bit of ghee (clarified butter) and consume 1 or 2 teaspoons daily. The directions are on the jar. It has really helped to balance my mood swings and hormones that seem to be shifting a lot as I near 50. You can get it from Jean's Greens mentioned in #6 above or from Woodland Essence (315) 845-1515 or www.woodlandessence.com.
8. Restorative Root Powder by Avena Botanicals: This herb powder is very similar to the Restorative Herb Powder mentioned in #7 above. The ingredients are a bit different, but the benefits are basically the same. I use this brand for a while, then switch to the Woodland Essence brand for a few months, then back again. For more information call (207) 594-0694 or www.avenabotanicals.com. If you are ever in mid-coast Maine during the summer, make a point to visit the herb gardens of Avena Botanicals. So beautiful and uplifting. Deb Soule, the owner, teaches amazing herb classes on a variety of subjects, too.
9. "Raw Energy: 124 Raw Food Recipes for Energy Bars, Smoothies, and Other Snacks to Supercharge Your Body" (Storey Publishing, 2009). This is my latest authored book on how to add enzyme-rich, nutritious, raw snack foods to your diet. Granted it's a book and not a "green" supplement like those listed previously, but it contains 124 raw food recipes on how to make super-healthy foods that will indeed boost your energy and core vitality. This book makes a great gift for any of your "healthful foodie" friends!
NOTE: This article was written by Stephanie Tourles. The information is true and complete to the best of the author's knowledge. All recommendations are made without guarantee on the part of Ms. Tourles. She disclaims any liability in connection with the use of this information. It is for educational purposes only.