Hello Everyone! Today's blog continues my "Creating Herbal Facial Oils" series and I'll be sharing one of my favorite facial oil blend recipes - ever! I've used my Repair & Restore Elixir or a variation of it for years and my skin reflects the youthifying benefits (at least I think so) of these particular essential oils/base oils. The recipe comes from my best-selling Organic Body Care Recipes book - found on pages 202-203. If you don't own a copy yet and are interested in learning about how to create your own pure, natural skin/body care products, then definitely pick up one! The book is truly an educational experience and will take you by the hand, guiding you through the world of natural skin/body care ingredients and "kitchen cosmetology".
Repair & Restore Elixir
This is a regenerative and anti-inflammatory elixir containing skin-supportive fatty acids that helps repair and pamper environmentally stressed and mature skin, leaving behind a healthy feel, more even tone, and suppleness. This blend can also be used to help prevent stretch marks, to speed post-operative skin healing and regeneration, and to aid in healing mild, first-degree burns.
I formulated this blend for its skin-restorative properties, not for the unique aroma that develops after it synergizes for 24 hours. And . . . unique, it is. Personally, I love it, but you might find it takes some getting used to as it contains some rather strongly-scented ingredients. With consistent use, combined with healthy lifestyle habits/diet, your skin will blossom . . . I promise!
- 7 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 7 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 6 drops calendula essential oil (CO2 extract) ((This is NOT calendula flower infused oil!
The essential oil is often available diluted in jojoba oil, and that is okay to use. Try
www.shopsimplers.com or Simplers Botanicals as a source.))
- 1 teaspoon rose hip seed base oil
- 1 teaspoon calophyllum (aka foraha or tamanu) base oil
- 1 teaspoon macadamia nut base oil (may substitute avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon apricot kernel base oil (may substitute almond oil)
- Recommended For: normal, dry, mature, sensitive, sunburned, windburned, or environmentally damaged skin; also for scarred skin tissue
- Use: 2x per day (3x per day for treatment of minor kitchen burns, sunburn, or scar tissue)
- Prep Time: approximately 15 minutes, plus 24 hours to synergize
- Blending Tools: shake storage bottle before each use
- Store In: dark glass bottle with a glass dropper top
- Yield: 2 tablespoons or 1 ounce
To Make: Add the essential oils, drop by drop, directly into a 1-ounce, dark glass storage bottle, then add the base oils. Screw on the dropper top, wrap your hand around the bottle, and shake the formula vigorously for 2 minutes to completely blend all ingredients and gently warm them to body temperature.
Set the bottle in a dark location that's between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours so that the oils can synergize. No refrigeration is required, but for maximum freshness and potency, please use within 6 months. This short shelf life is due to the inclusion of rose hip seed oil, which tends to go rancid within 6 months.
To Use: Morning and evening after cleansing, apply the appropriate toner, astringent, or herbal hydrosol to your facial/neck area. While skin is still very damp, place 4 to 8 drops of elixir into your palm, rub both palms together, and lightly massage the elixir into skin, beginning with the decollete, throat, then face, using upward, outward, and circular strokes. Wait five minutes before applying sunscreen, additional moisturizer if desired, or makeup.
- To Help Prevent Stretch Marks & The Resulting Scars: Apply a combination of 1 teaspoon of rose hip seed base oil and 1 drop of calendula essential oil (CO2) extract directly to the expanding abdomen. Massage the entire area twice daily. These are very, very safe oils, but check with your health care provider first if you are concerned.
- To Help Prevent Scar Tissue & Speed Healing: Please consult with your health care provider prior to usage . . . To help fade scar tissue that already exists, my Repair & Restore Elixir can be applied by the drop 3x daily directly to scars anywhere on the body. Scars that are less than 2 years old will tend to respond more favorably than older scar tissue.
- To Aid The Healing Process Of Burns: Use on burns that are not too severe and don't require a physician's care, including sunburns, grease burns, and general "kitchen accident" burns. Immediately pour chilled aloe vera juice onto the area to stop inflammation and cool the tissue. Follow this with an application of several drops of Repair & Restore Elixir. Repeat this procedure up to 3x per day. You should see dramatic improvement and recovery.
Photo of Calophyllum Tree (also known as - Foraha or Tamanu)
NOTE: Portions of this blog were adapted from "Organic Body Care Recipes" by Stephanie Tourles, Storey Publishing (c2007). All materials provided in my blogs, on my website, or through social media are for informational or educational purposes only and not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your healthcare professional or physician.